EmtrixTM, the leading treatment for patients suffering from nail fungus and nail psoriasis, will be licensed by Mundipharma from the Swedish pharmaceutical company and to be marketed as part of the popular BETADINE® Infectious Disease portfolio
5 November, Dubai: Mundipharma has signed a new agreement with Moberg Pharma, a specialist in topical treatments for nail and skin diseases, to commercialize its consumer healthcare product for the treatment of nail diseases in the Middle East and Africa (MEA).
An innovative and rapidly growing company, Moberg Pharma is one of the leading players in the treatment of nail diseases. Moberg Pharma is promoting its brands in the US and UK as well through distributors across more than 30 countries.
Under the agreement Mundipharma will license and introduce Emtrix™ as part of Mundipharma’s Betadine® range of infectious disease therapies. Used to treat discolored and deformed nails resulting from fungal infection or psoriasis, Emtrix™ improves the appearance of damaged nails by reducing discoloration, normalizing thickness, and hydrating brittle nails. 1-4
Onychomycosis is fungal infection of the nail, characterized by thickening, splitting, roughening and discoloration of the nail. This condition may affect toenails or fingernails, but toenail infections are particularly more common. It is estimated that about 2% to 13.8% of adults are affected by onychomycosis,5–7 and the prevalence increases with age reaching 25–30% in the elderly.6
Infections can be painful, have a negative impact on a patient’s self-image and are associated with increased risk of secondary infection. If left untreated, onychomycosis can cause serious limitations to a sufferer’s mobility.1
Ashraf Allam, Mundipharma’s Vice President for Middle, Turkey and Africa region, said: “The agreement with Moberg Pharma is a major boost to Mundipharma’s plans to expand its operations into new markets and to bring an even greater choice of healthcare products to our customers in MEA.
This newly signed partnership means patients will be able to access one of the leading treatments for this common and uncomfortable condition.
Mundipharma is committed to offering the latest in market-leading healthcare products to patients across MEA bringing about effective and sustained improvement in people with onychomycosis infections in the Middle East and Africa Region.”
“We look forward to developing our relationship with Mundipharma and making Emtrix™ available in new regions as we expand our footprint in growing markets”, says Peter Wolpert, Moberg Pharma’s CEO.
Mundipharma and its network of privately owned Independent Associated Companies (IACs) is dedicated to alleviating human suffering and improving quality of life for the human race. The Mundipharma story, spanning over six decades brings together a visionary approach and a pioneering spirit – what is best told through its patients, employees and the communities across six continents in which they serve. Mundipharma is focused on business transformation by leveraging global leadership in pain and, through a shared spirit of innovation, building a growing presence in antisepsis, respiratory, oncology, ophthalmology, consumer healthcare and other specialty areas.
For more information, please contact:
Patrycja Czoch, Corporate Communications Manager
Mob: +97 1 50 85 12 700
About Moberg Pharma,
Moberg Pharma AB (publ) is a rapidly growing Swedish pharmaceutical company with OTC sales operations in the U.S. and a distributor network in more than 30 countries. The company’s portfolio includes the OTC brands Kerasal®, Kerasal Nail®, New Skin®, Dermoplast® and Domeboro®. Kerasal Nail® (Emtrix®, Zanmira® or Nalox™ in certain markets) is a leading OTC treatment of nail disorders in the U.S., Canada as well as in several markets in EU and Southeast Asia. The company is growing organically as well as through acquisitions. Internal development programs focus on innovative drug delivery of proven compounds and include two assets in late-stage clinical development, MOB-015 (onychomycosis) and BUPI (pain management in oral mucositis). Moberg Pharma has offices in Stockholm and New Jersey and the company’s shares are listed on the Small Cap list of the NASDAQ OMX Nordic Exchange Stockholm (OMX: MOB).
For more information, please visit: www.mobergpharma.com
®: BETADINE is a Registered Trademark of Mundipharma.
TM: Emtrix is a trademark of Moberg Pharma AB
- Emtestam et al. Mycoses 2012, Vol 55:532-540. Treatment of distal subungual onychomycosis with a topical preparation of urea, propylene glycol and lactic acid: results of a 24-week, double-blind, placebo-controlled study.
- Faergemann et al. Journal of Cosmetics, Dermatological Sciences and Applications 2011, Vol 1:59-63. Early and Visible Improvements after Application of K101 in the Appearance of Nails Discoloured and Deformed by Onychomycosis.
- Hultenby et al. Mycoses 2014, Vol 57:630-638. The Effect of K101 Nail Solution on Trichophyton rubrum and Candida albicans growth and ultrastructure.
- Piraccini BM, Starace M, Toft A. Dermatology. 2017;233(2-3):178-183. Early Visible Improvements during K101-03 Treatment: An Open-Label Multicenter Clinical Investigation in Patients with Onychomycosis and/or Nail Psoriasis.
- Elewski BE, Charif MA. Prevalence of onychomycosis in patients attending a dermatology clinic in northeastern Ohio for other conditions. Arch Dermatol 1997; 133: 1172–3.
- Heikkila H, Stubb S. The prevalence of onychomycosis in Finland. Br J Dermatol 1995; 133: 699–703.
- Ghannoum MA, Hajjeh RA, Scher R et al. A large-scale North American study of fungal isolates from nails: the frequency of onychomycosis, fungal distribution, and antifungal susceptibility patterns. J Am Acad Dermatol 2000; 43: 641–8.